- 2 eggplants, medium size
- 1 pound DiRusso's® Italian Sausage Links
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
- 5 cups Marinara Sauce
- 1 cup Romano cheese, grated
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Peel and slice eggplants into 1/4 inch thick slices. Layer eggplant slices on a large platter and sprinkle each layer lightly with salt. Place a heavy object on top of the sliced eggplant to drain for 1 hour to be less bitter.
- Remove casings from sausage. In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until brown, crumbling with a wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Place flour in a shallow dish and mix in 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. In another shallow dish, beat eggs with water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- In a skillet, heat layer of oil over medium-high heat. Dip each slice into the flour, then into the egg mixture. Saute eggplant to golden brown on each side, adding additional oil as needed.
- In bottom of a 13x9x2 inch baking dish, spread a thin layer of marinara sauce. Top with a layer of eggplant, crumbled sausage, marinara sauce, Romano and mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers, finishing with a topping of marinara sauce and the Romano cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes or until lightly browned and thoroughly heated.
- Marinara Sauce
Ingredients 1/4 cup olive or canola oil 1 small onion, chopped 1 clove garlic, minced 1 can (28 ounce) tomato sauce 1 can (28 ounce) crushed tomatoes 4 cups water 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano 1 tablespoon dried parsley 1/2 teaspoon dried basil pinch red pepper flakes
- Instructions In a saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in oil.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, water and spices.
- Stir well. Bring to boil and simmer for 45 minutes, partially covered.
- Casserole can be frozen before baking.
Share this Recipe