- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 pounds DiRusso's Medium Hot Italian Sausage Links, casings removed
- or DiRusso's Italian Sausage Patties
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans (including liquid)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans (including liquid)
- salt to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, crumble sausage with a wooden spoon and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add oil, onions, green bell peppers and celery and saute until tender.
- Add tomatoes, water, and seasonings; bring to a boil; reduce heat; partially cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in kidney and pinto beans and simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions or sour cream for topping (optional).
Share this Recipe