- 1 pound DiRusso's® Italian Sausage Links
- 2 large heads escarole
- olive or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- crushed red pepper
- 1 can (15 ounce) Great Northern Beans
- Romano cheese, grated (optional)
- Wash escarole in cold water. Tear each leaf into small pieces and place in a colander to drain.
- Cook escarole in large kettle of boiling water. Drain in colander and run cold water over escarole to stop the cooking. Make small bundles and squeeze out excess water. Cut escarole into small pieces.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook sausage until brown and cooked through. Remove and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Reserve.
- In same skillet, add additional oil and sauté onion. Add garlic and lightly sauté. Move the onion and garlic to the back of the pan.
- Add and heat a layer of oil in skillet. Add a layer of escarole, season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper. Cook and turn over several times with a pair of tongs until heated through. Move escarole to the back of the skillet stirring in the onions and garlic.
- Repeat above steps until all the escarole is cooked. Add the can of beans and sausage pieces. Mix all ingredients together and simmer for several minutes to blend flavors.
- This dish can be made with a mix of your favorite greens, such as swiss chard, mustard greens and curly endive.
- Chicken broth can be added to add flavor.
Share this Recipe