- 1 pound Ditalini or Elbow macaroni
- 1 pounds DiRusso's® Italian Sausage Links
- 2 cans (15 ounce) Great Northern Beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated
- Remove casings from sausage. In a large sauce pot, cook the sausage over medium heat, crumbling with a wooden spoon. Cook the sausage until browned and cooked through. Remove sausage and reserve.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in the sauce pot and sauté onions, celery and garlic. Add tomatoes, water, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, partially cover pan, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add beans and sausage and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Add drained macaroni to sauce pot and stir.
- Serve immediately in soup plates and a generous sprinkling of cheese.
- Substitute 4 cups cooked dried beans for 2 cans beans.
- Crushed red pepper flakes can be sprinkled on each serving.
Share this Recipe