- 6 cups day-old bread, grated
- 1 pound DiRusso's® Real Italian Sausage Links or Patties
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup (approx.) vegetable or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pounds (approx.) Hungarian peppers
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the tops off peppers and take out the seeds and ribs.
- Remove casings from sausage links. In a frying pan, cook sausage over medium heat breaking with a wooden spoon to crumble the sausage. Add garlic and sauté.
- In a bowl, combine grated bread, sausage, garlic, parsley, and Parmesan cheese. Drizzle in enough oil to lightly moisten bread mixture. Add egg and mix.
- Stuff the peppers 3/4 full (use the end of wooden spoon to pack in stuffing).
- Place pepper in a single layer in a baking pan. Rub the outsides of peppers with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle oil over peppers.
- Bake for 30 minutes, turn peppers over, bake approximately 15 minutes or until the peppers are golden brown.
- Spoon marinara sauce over the peppers the last 10 minutes, if desired.
- The cut off tops of the peppers can be chopped, pan fried and added to the stuffing, if desired.
Share this Recipe